Những chủ đề quá khó sẽ khiến cho bạn không biết phải làm sao để giải quyết, còn những chủ đề quá dễ sẽ dẫn đến bí ý tưởng một cách trầm trọng. DOL sẽ gợi ý cho bạn một số ý tưởng trong bài, xoay quanh những vấn đề như”
- Các môn thể thao cạnh tranh/chuyên nghiệp;
- Quan điểm về chế độ lương của nghề thuộc lĩnh vực thể thao;
- Thể thao và chính trị.
Để có thể xuất ra được nhiều ý tưởng, bạn nên tìm đọc nhiều loại kiến thức khác nhau từ sách báo đến tin tức, như vậy khi làm bài thi bạn cũng không bị áp lực hay lo sợ bởi sự bao quát rộng rãi của bài thi bạn nhé!
Bạn có thể xem thêm bài viết: IETLS Writing Task 2 – Chủ đề Tourism
B. Các ý tưởng có thể triển khai cho chủ đề Sport and Leisure
Against Professional or Competitive Sport
- Sport has become a business;
- Professional sport encourages people to compete for money;
- Many sports stars are only concerned about money and fame;
- Some athletes take drugs in order to win at any cost;
- Competitors are often selfish and rude;
- They are not good role models for children;
- All sports should be amateur;
- Sports should be leisure activities rather than jobs;
- People should do sporting activities for enjoyment and health reasons;
- Taking part is more important than winning.
Arguments for Professional Sport
- Professional sports are the same as any other business;
- Many people are employed in the sports industry;
- People should be able to use their talents to earn a salary;
- Sports stars entertain millions of people;
- Money is necessary to improve facilities and train athletes;
- The level of professional sport is much higher than that of amateur sport.
Arguments for Competitive Sport
- Competition is a natural instinct in humans;
- In daily life we compete to get jobs or the highest grades;
- Sports are a safe form of competition;
- Competition is healthy because it pushes us to give our best;
- Competitors and fans can release energy and aggression;
- Supporters of teams feel a sense of belonging to a community.
Opinion: Professional Sport Salaries are too high
- Sports professionals earn too much money;
- They do not provide a vital service;
- Football players, for example, earn enormous salaries by simply kicking a ball;
- We could all live happily without professional football;
- Life would be difficult without doctors, engineers and other vital professionals;
- Society does not seem to value these professions as highly as professional sport;
- Sports salaries should be compatible with the wages most people earn.
Opinion: Professional Sport Salaries are fair
- It is fair that the best professional earn a lot of money;
- Sport is a multi-million-pound industry;
- There is a large audience of sports fans;
- Sports on television attract many viewers;
- Sports stars have dedicated hours of practice to developing their fitness and skills;
- Only the most talented among them will reach the top;
- A sports career many only last 10 years;
- Sports fans are willing to pay to support their teams.
Sports and Politics
- Some people think that sport and politics should remain separate;
- Governments are involved in the hosting of sporting events such as the Olympics;
- These events attract investment and create;
- The Olympic Games are an advertisement for the host nation;
- They attract huge numbers of visitors and sports fans;
- Wealthy countries tend to hold these events;
- Developing countries should be given the chance to become hosts.
C. Các từ vựng và cấu trúc nổi bật chủ đề Sport and Leisure
- Persistence (noun): kiên trì, bền bỉ;
- Sportsperson = sports player (compound noun): vận động viên thể thao;
- Sports celebrity = sports icon = sports star (compound noun): ngôi sao thể thao;
- Risk of something/ doing something (noun): có nguy cơ xảy ra chuyện gì;
- Struggle with something (verb): vật lộn với cái gì;
- Live on (phrasal verb): tiếp tục sống;
- Televise something (verb): phát sóng cái gì;
- Endure something (verb): chịu đựng, trải qua cái gì;
- Scrutiny (noun): rà soát kỹ lưỡng;
- Invasion of privacy (phrase): xâm lấn đời tư;
- Unjustified (adjective): không công bằng;
- Retire (verb): giải nghệ;
- Sponsorship deal (compound noun): hợp đồng tài trợ;
- Sufficient (adjective): đủ cho mục đích cá nhân;
- Spectator (noun): khán giả;
- Law-breaking (noun): phá luật;
- Boxer (noun): võ sĩ boxing;
- Boxing ring (compound noun): đấu trường thi đấu boxing;
- Mimic something (verb): bắt chước điều gì;
- Fatal (adjective): gây chết người;
- Setting something as an example (phrase): coi ai đó là một tấm gương;
- Diligence (noun): cần cù, siêng năng;
- Persistence (noun): kiên trì;
- Setback (noun): nghịch cảnh;
- Voluntary (adjective): tình nguyện;
- Unhealthy lifestyle (noun phrase): phong cách sống không lành mạnh;
- Drug abuse (noun): sử dụng ma túy;
- Take off (phrasal verb): phát triển;
- Host country (noun): nước chủ nhà;
- Indigenous (adjective): bản địa, bản xứ;
- Diplomatic relationship: mối quan hệ ngoại giao;
- Arena (noun): trường đấu;
- Professional competition (noun phrase): thi đấu chuyên nghiệp;
- Specialized facilities (noun phrase): cơ sở vật chất chuyên dụng.
D. Một số đề mẫu của chủ Sport and Leisure
“Extreme sports such as sky diving and skiing are very dangerous and should be banned. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this view?”
In recent years, extreme sports have become increasingly popular, and some people argue that governments should prohibit them. I completely disagree with the idea that these sports are too dangerous, and I therefore believe that they should not be banned.
In my opinion, so-called extreme sports are not as dangerous as many people think. All sports involve some element of risk, and there should always be clear regulations and safety procedures to reduce the possibility of accidents. People who take part in extreme sports are usually required to undergo appropriate training so that the dangers are minimised.
For example, anyone who wants to try skydiving will need to sign up for lessons with a registered club, and beginners are not allowed to dive solo; they must be accompanied by an experienced professional. Finally, the protective equipment and technology used in sports from motor racing to mountain climbing is constantly improving safety.
While I support regulations and safety measures, I believe that it would be wrong, and almost impossible, to ban extreme sports. In the first place, we should all be free to decide how we spend our leisure time; as long as we understand the risks, I do not believe that politicians should stop us from enjoying ourselves.
However, an even stronger argument against such a ban would be the difficulty of enforcing it. Many of the most risky sports, like base jumping or big wave surfing, are practised far away from the reach of any authorities. I cannot imagine the police being called to stop people from parachuting off a mountain face or surfing on an isolated beach.
In conclusion, I would argue that people should be free to enjoy extreme sports as long as they understand the risks and take the appropriate precautions.
“Popular events like the football World Cup and other international sporting occasions are essential in easing international tensions and releasing patriotic emotions in a safe way.”
Every four years, the whole world stops to watch international sporting events such as the Olympics and the Football World Cup in which athletes show their best performance to make their country proud of them. These sporting occasions have proved to be helpful in easing international tensions in difficult times when powerful leaders were trying to control the world’s economy and other governments were fighting over land.
The Olympic Games are one of the best examples which prove how sporting events can bring nations together, at least temporarily. From ancient History, when Greeks and Romans would interrupt battles to participate in the games, to the more recent international disputes, when athletes from Palestine and Israel would forget their differences, compete pacifically and even embrace each other after an event. Moreover, these popular events have called the world’s attention to the terrible consequences of wars; thus some leaders have tried to accept agreements to end their dispute and live peacefully.
Similarly, international sporting events show benefits in some developing countries which live in a daily internal civil war. For example, Brazil has a high rate of unemployment, lack of education, hunger, crime, poverty and corruption which leads to an immense embarrassment of being Brazilian and a low self-esteem.
However, when the Football World Cup starts, the Brazilian squad, which is considered the best team in the world, provokes an amazing feeling of pride in their country. Most people seem to forget all their problems and even the criminal activity decreases. They paint roads with the national colors, use wear the Brazilian team shirt and buy national flags. Moreover, the competition brings families and neighbors together and even rival gangs watch the games and celebrate peacefully.
In conclusion, popular sporting events play an important role in decreasing international tensions and liberating patriotic feelings as History has shown.
“Successful sports professionals can earn a great deal more money than people in other important professions. Some people think this is fully justified while others think it is unfair. Discuss both these views and give your own opinion. Give reasons for your answer and include any relevant examples from your own knowledge or experience.”
As a result of constant media attention, sports professionals in my country have become stars and celebrities, and those at the top are paid huge salaries. Just like movie stars, they live extravagant lifestyles with huge houses and cars.
Many people find their rewards unfair, especially when comparing these super salaries with those of top surgeons or research scientists, or even leading politicians who have the responsibility of governing the country. However, sports salaries are not determined by considering the contribution to society a person makes, or the level of responsibility he or she holds. Instead, they reflect the public popularity of sport in general and the level of public support that successful stars can generate. So the notion of ‘fairness’ is not the issue.
Those who feel that sports stars’ salaries are justified might argue that the number of professionals with real talent are very few, and the money is a recognition of the skills and dedication a person needs to be successful.
Competition is constant and a player is tested every time they perform in their relatively short career. The pressure from the media is intense and there is little privacy out of the spotlight. So all of these factors may justify the huge earnings.
Personally, I think that the amount of money such sports stars make is more justified than the huge earnings of movie stars, but at the same time, it indicates that our society places more value on sport than on more essential professions and achievements.
E. Một số đề bài khác
- “Many countries spend a lot of money preparing competitors to take part in major sports competitions such as the Olympics, football world cup etc. Some people think that it would be better to spend this money to encourage children to take part in sports in a young age. To what extent do you agree or disagree?”
- “Some people think that it is more beneficial to take part in sports which are played in teams, like football, while other people think that taking part in individual sports, like tennis or swimming, is better. Discuss both views and give your own opinion.”
- “Some people think that professional athletes make good role models for young people, while others believe they don’t. Discuss both these points of views and give your own opinion.”
Bởi vì kiến thức trong dạng chủ đề này có phần chuyên môn nên DOL đã gợi ý cho bạn một số ý tưởng, nhưng để viết được một bài viết hoàn chỉnh thì bạn cần phải xem nhiều tài liệu chứa kiến thức về thể thao hơn để mở rộng vốn từ của mình.
Bạn không thể cứ mãi lặp đi lặp lại một từ cho dù nó đúng về ý nghĩa trong bài viết đúng không, đó là cách để bạn lấy điểm cho phần Lexical Resource trong IELTS Writing task 2, và từ những gợi ý trên bạn hãy sắp xếp cho mình một dàn ý chặt chẽ để nâng điểm cho phần Coherence and cohesion luôn nhé! Chúc bạn thành công.