In many cities, there is little control on the design and construction of new houses. Some people think that people can choose to build houses in their own styles instead of building them with the same as the old house style in local areas. Do the advantages outweigh the disadvantages?
5 steps làm bài mẫu sample Đề thi IELTS Writing Task 2 ngày 23/05/2019
- Raise the city’s aesthetic and economic chances
- Ex: the Saigon Notre Dame Cathedral
- Tourism industry thrives
- Places where building designs serve particular purposes
- Ex: Hoi An – an ancient town of Vietnam
- Local area’s cultural and historic values
Body 1: Advantage Distinctive designs -> tourism industry thrives -> Ex: the Saigon Notre Dame Cathedral raise the city’s aesthetic and economic chances
Body 2: Disadvantage Areas where building designs have certain purposes -> show local cultures and history -> contemporary buildings not allowed in Hoi An Ancient Town
It is clear that when setting up a building, people are concerned about the design. Having the freedom to choose the design they want has both pros and cons but I believe whether the advantages overshadow the disadvantages depends on the areas where new buildings are constructed.
The freedom in architectural designs allows the erection of exquisite buildings that generate people’s appreciation, which consequently raises the aesthetic values of a country and enhances economic chances. This can be clearly demonstrated in the tourism industry as people travel to look for unique attributes of the destinations. Take the Saigon Notre Dame Cathedral as an example. It does not need to comply with the surrounding building styles. With distinctive beautiful complex French architectural features, it has been the ultimate symbol Ho Chi Minh City, which attracts more than two millions of tourists every year.
However, too much freedom in housing designs might be problematic in certain areas. There are places where building designs serve particular purposes, for example, to show local area’s cultural and historic values. If people here are allowed to freely build houses that do not follow the established guidelines, the aesthetic values will be compromised. For instance, contemporary buildings are not permitted to be constructed in Hoi An – an ancient town of Vietnam as this place remains an example of a South-East Asian trading port dating from the 15th to the 19th century and has become a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
In conclusion, whether the advantages outweigh the disadvantages of little control on building designs depends on the local areas and their purposes.
- Concerned: quan ngại
- Construct: xây dựng
- Appreciation: sự trân trọng
- Aesthetic: có tính thẩm mỹ
- Enhance: phát triển
- Comply: tuân theo
- Distinctive: đặc trưng
- Complex: phức tạp
- Problematic: gây rối
- Contemporary: hiện đại
- It is clear that + S + V. Ex: It is clear that architectural designs contribute to a city’s tourism development.
- S1 + V1 + O1, which + V2 + O2. Ex: Hoi An is a UNESCO World Heritage, which needs preserving.
- Whether + S + V1 + V2 + O. Ex: Whether the government should establish regulations for building designs depends on the location of construction.
- If + S1 + V1 + O1, S2 + will + V2 + O2. Ex: If contemporary buildings are built in Hoi An, they will destroy the cultural and historic values of the town.