Với chủ đề này, bạn sẽ không phải chịu quá nhiều áp lực từ từ vựng nhưng việc xây dựng dàn ý và lên ý tưởng là rất khó khăn. Nhưng đề bài sẽ thường lồng ghép chủ đề này với những vấn đề cụ thể, vì vậy mà bạn có thể khai thác ý từ đề bài đưa ra, có những dạng chủ đề cơ bản như:
- Giới tính và giáo dục;
- Giới tính và công việc;
- Vai trò của nam và nữ giới trong gia đình (thường trả lời cho câu hỏi sexism là gì).
Bởi vì sự lồng ghép cụ thể mà bạn có thể học kèm từ vựng và tách ý tưởng từ những chủ đề khác để tiết kiệm bớt thời gian và công sức cho bạn trong việc luyện thi. DOL sẽ gợi ý cho bạn một số ý tưởng thường gặp và từ vựng sẵn có giúp bạn xem lại những kiến thức của mình để bổ sung nhé!
B. Ý tưởng về chủ đề Gender khi kết hợp với các chủ đề khác
Các đề bài của chủ đề này chủ yếu xoay quanh vai trò và vị trí của người phụ nữ trong gia đình hoặc ở nơi làm việc. Để làm tốt những bài viết ở chủ đề này, bạn phải có những kiến thức nền (background knowledge) và đặc biệt có vốn từ vựng về chủ đề này.
Gender and Education
- Men and women should have access to the same educational opportunities;
- Males and females should be accepted onto courses according to their abilities;
- It is wrong to discriminate against students because of their gender;
- Gender should be irrelevant in education;
- Student’s achievements should depend on hard work and individual merit;
- In the UK, there are similar numbers of male and female students in higher education.
Gender and Work
- Men and women should have access to the same professional opportunities;
- Both man and women should be able to pursue a career;
- They should earn equal salaries;
- They should be employed according to their abilities, qualifications and experience;
- Traditionally women have been restricted to certain roles;
- They were often employed as secretaries or receptionists;
- Nowadays, a range of occupations is available to both sexes;
- Career success depends on individual merit.
Women’s and Men’s Roles in the Family
- Some people argue that a mother should not work;
- She should stay at home and bring up her children;
- The father should be the breadwinner of the family;
- Others believe that both parents should share these responsibilities;
- Working women can take maternity leave during and after pregnancy;
- Many mothers continue to work after this period;
- Many fathers and mothers share their parenting and domestic responsibilities;
- They contribute equally to childcare, cooking and cleaning;
- Some women may have better career prospects than their husbands;
- Paternity leave and ‘househusbands’ are becoming more common;
- Traditional gender roles are gradually changing;
- Families can divide roles and responsibilities in the most convenient way.
Các từ vựng nổi bật cho chủ đề Gender
- Equality: sự bình đẳng;
- Discriminate: sự phân biệt đối xử bất công với ai, dựa trên chủng tộc, tôn giáo, giới tính;
- (Male) chauvinist: người quan niệm vai trò tuyệt đối của đàn ông, có thành kiến với phụ nữ;
- Male-dominated societies: xã hội chi phối bởi đàn ông;
- Female-dominated: (một tình huống, môi trường,etc.) hầu hết là phụ nữ;
- Glass ceiling: những tư tưởng, định kiến ngăn cản người phụ nữ đạt được những vị trí, công việc quan trọng;
- Stereotype: những tư tưởng thành kiến;
- Breadwinner: người kiếm tiền nuôi sống gia đình;
- The weaker sex: phái yếu, dùng để chỉ phụ nữ;
- Social bias: định kiến xã hội;
- Look down on: coi thường;
- Patriarchal ideology: tư tưởng gia trưởng;
- Feudalistic societies: xã hội phong kiến;
- Share responsibility: chia sẻ trách nhiệm;
- Feminine character: tính cách nữ tính;
- Enfranchise women: cho phụ nữ quyền bầu cử;
- Impose backward ideas on women: áp đặt quan điểm bảo thủ với phụ nữ;
- Domestic violence: bạo lực trong gia đình;
- Dismiss gender misconception: loại bỏ những hiểu lầm về giới tính.
C. Một số đề mẫu
“Universities should accept equal numbers of male and female students in every subject. To what extent do you agree or disagree?”
In my opinion, men and women should have the same educational opportunities. However, I do not agree with the idea of accepting equal proportions of each gender in every university subject.
Having the same number of men and women on all degree courses is simply unrealistic. Student numbers on any course depend on the applications that the institution receives. If a university decided to fill courses with equal numbers of males and females, it would need enough applicants of each gender. In reality, many courses are more popular with one gender than the other, and it would not be practical to aim for equal proportions. For example, nursing courses tend to attract more female applicants, and it would be difficult to fill these courses if fifty per cent of the places needed to go to males.
Apart from the practical concerns expressed above, I also believe that it would be unfair to base admission to university courses on gender. Universities should continue to select the best candidates for each course according to their qualifications. In this way, both men and women have the same opportunities, and applicants know that they will be successful if they work hard to achieve good grades at school. If a female student is the best candidate for a place on a course, it is surely wrong to reject her in favour of a male student with lower grades or fewer qualifications.
In conclusion, the selection of university students should be based on merit, and it would be both impractical and unfair to change to a selection procedure based on gender.
“Many people think that men should go out to work while women place is in the home. To what extent do you agree or disagree?”
Women and men have had different roles in the community since the beginning. Although these differences are slowly converging, due to the genetic inheritance and socio-demographic components, they still exist. It is said that men should be the breadwinners while women are more suitable for housework and childcare. In my opinion, this statement is not completely right or wrong and requires careful consideration.
Firstly, it is assumed that men should go out to work. Undoubtedly, men are better adapted genetically to perform physical tasks. The difference in physical abilities is clearly demonstrated in the sporting arena. Take for example the Olympics, or any international sporting event. It can be clearly seen that these competitions the genders are separated due to inherent differences between the sexes. Similarly, such jobs requiring physical strength as logging or coal mining, should continue to be done by men.
Secondly, it has been argued that women are more suitable for their traditional roles in the home. This statement is true to a certain extent but it largely depends on the society. In certain traditional societies in Africa, females working is frowned upon and is seen as neglecting the family. Whereas in Afghanistan, in general, females are allowed to do little else but stay at home, being a housewife. Consequently, a woman’s value is largely dictated by the society, culture and history. Nevertheless, to state that her place is in the home is widely considered sexist in modern western societies. Many women nowadays are in positions of power and changing the world to a great extent. For example, Angela Merkel is the Chancellor of Germany and currently ranked as the world’s second most powerful person by Forbes magazine. Her contribution is obviously undeniable
To conclude, differences do exist though these are largely through nature. However, it is a flawed stereotype that women should be at home and the workplace is not for them. This glass ceiling is certainly what should be shattered to assure women of their right to have the equal opportunity in life.
“Some people think women should be allowed to join the army, the navy and the air force just like men. To what extent do you agree or disagree? Give reasons for your answer.”
Whether women should be allowed to serve in the military has triggered spirited debate. Some assert that women should be allowed to defend their country in the same capacity as their male peers. Personally, I agree with their assertion for two reasons.
History has shown that women are fully capable of performing well in the military. Historically, there were a host of valiant women soldiers whose achievements really put their male counterparts to shame. One need only look at the classic examples of Joan of Arc and Mulan to see how exceptionally women could perform on the battlefield. In my observation, their determination, courage and dignity, to this day, are still being admired by male soldiers and civilians alike throughout the world.
Moreover, from an enlightened standpoint, female patriots should be granted the right to go to the front line when their motherland is involved in a war. Admittedly, gender inequality was a highly controversial issue in the twentieth century. However, now twelve years into the new millennium, women can learn and teach, work and supervise, vote and voted in most countries just like men. In light of this sweeping progress in gender equality, there is no sense in denying them the right to defend their home country when a war breaks out.
In sum, keeping military services out of bounds of women in the information age is unwarranted. I have been convinced that it is in the best interest of a nation if women are also granted equal rights in this particular arena.
Một số đề khác
- “Many people believe that women make better parents than men and that this is why they have the greater role in raising children in most societies. Others claim that men are just as good as women at parenting Write an essay expressing your point of view. Give reasons for your answer.”
- “Woman and men are commonly seen as having different strength and weaknesses. Is it right to exclude males or females from certain professions because of their gender?”
- “In spite of many advances women have made in education and employment, they continue to be at a disadvantage when it comes to pay and promotion. In your view, what should be done to promote equality of opportunity for men and women in the workplace?”
Vấn đề chính của chủ đề này chính là việc bạn phân tích vấn đề và đưa ra quan điểm, lập luận cho quan điểm đó của bạn như thế nào. Nên hãy luôn lên một dàn ý chi tiết, sắp xếp và chuẩn bị biện giải cho quan điểm của bạn thật kỹ lưỡng, sau đó khi viết mới thêm thắt những từ ngữ phù hợp để lấy điểm, band điểm của bạn là điểm trung bình của Task Response, Coherence and cohesion, Lexical Resource và Grammatical Range and Accuracy nên hãy phân phối thời gian và sự quan tâm cho cả 4 phần. Sau đó mới tối ưu điểm cho phần nào bạn giỏi nhất. Như vậy bạn mới có thể đạt band điểm cao và không bị kéo điểm bởi phần nào. Chúc bạn thành công nhé!