Chắc hẳn hầu như những ai đã từng tiếp xúc với đề thi IELTS đã đều “điểm mặt gọi tên” với chủ đề này rồi, phổ biến ở đề thi IELTS Speaking Part 3. Trong đề thi Writing, độ khó sẽ nâng cao hơn một chút, nhằm đòi hỏi bạn phải có nhiều ý tưởng hơn để “chém gió” thành thạo. Những nội dung chính có thể được kể đến như:
- Quan điểm về việc đánh mất các kỹ năng truyền thống
- Ảnh hưởng của việc thay đổi truyền thống, lối sống xưa cũ
Dưới đây, DOL sẽ gợi ý cho bạn một số các vấn đề có thể được đề cập đến trong đề thi IELTS Writing với chủ đề Traditional and Modern Life nhé.
B. Các nội dung liên quan đến chủ đề Traditional and Modern Life
Losing traditional skills
- Because of industrialization and global trade, many traditions have disappeared;
- Global advertising encourages everyone to buy the same products;
- Most products are now made in factories;
- Machinery has replaced skilled human labours;
- Factory work is boring and leaves people feeling unfulfilled;
- Goods are produced very quickly and in large numbers;
- Products are cheaper, which means that more people can buy them.
- Clothes are mass produced in standard sizes;
- People wear similar clothes, rather than traditional costumes;
- Jeans and T-shirts are now worn throughout the world;
- Historic buildings took skilled craftsmen years to build;
- Modern concrete, steel and glass buildings are built in only weeks and months;
- There are fewer people who can create handmade goods.
- Traditional customs are still important during wedding and religious festivals;
- People wear traditional customs and eat special food;
- It is important to maintain our different cultural identities;
- We should celebrate festivals, teach traditional skills and protect historic place.
C. Cách tiếp cận dạng đề Traditional and Modern Life
Cách tiếp cận đơn giản nhất cho chủ đề này đó là chia thành hai phần để nói, một là phần quá khứ và hai là hiện tại, sau đó đề cập đến điểm giống và điểm khác nhau. Chẳng lạ lẫm gì nữa, bạn hãy xem xét thử tình huống phát triển của mọi vật như thế nào, đứng trên quan điểm của ba mẹ, ông bà hay những người thuộc thế hệ trước mà ta từng tiếp xúc, từ đó có sự so sánh với quan điểm hiện tại của bản thân.
Tuy nhiên, điểm khó ở chủ đề này là nó có thể kết hợp với một số chủ đề khác nữa mà trong bài IELTS Writing Task 2 theo chủ đề – 24 chủ đề thường gặp DOL đã điểm qua, như xã hội, con người, công việc, quảng cáo,…Tất cả mọi thứ đều có sự cải tiến và tiến hoá không ngừng, do đó luôn tạo ra những điểm khác biệt trong từng thời điểm khác nhau. Do đó, để tiết kiệm thời gian, bạn có thể lồng ghép ghi học các chủ đề khác để khai thác triệt để các nội dung có thể gặp phải nhé.
D. Một số đề mẫu
“The older generations tend to have very traditional ideas about how people should live, think, and behave. However, some people believe that these ideas are not helpful in preparing younger generations for modern life. To what extent do you agree or disagree with this view?”
Generation gap has been a problem in modern life. Some people will perhaps to stick to traditional values but others think those ideas are not suitable for youngsters in modern life. My view is that some values are obsolete and need adjusting while some should be adopted today.
It is not denied that some traditional believes are true for yesterday but not true for today. Let take an example, in the past, children were expected to do things in the way their parents want. However, nowadays, the concept of good children has changed; children can express their opinions more freely and openly. Another good change happens in the role of men and women in family. In previous time, women were supposed to stay at home and do housework; men were breadwinners and have total authority on decision making. Yet women and men have equal responsibility of sharing housework, making living and making important decisions now. In addition, the rapidly changing world has put many challenges to youngsters, driving them to change backward values. They need to be confident, open to different views and have out of box thinking.
Nevertheless, I believe that there are some precious values of the previous generation that young people should inherit. There is a saying that age speaks with the wisdom of experience, their experiences in life in coupled with valued attributes such as hard-working, do one’s best, take pride of one’s work and respect to others should be considered.
In conclusion, young people should be open to accept new things from outside world, at the same time, inherit the good traditional values.
“Studies have suggested that children watch much more television than they did in the past and spend less time on active or creative things.
What are the reasons and what measures should be taken to reduce the time children spend on watching TV and encourage children to spend more time on active or creative things?”
It has been observed that watching TV becomes a dominant form of recreation over other activities that require creativity. My essay below will analyze some underlying reasons and propose some feasible solutions to this issue.
There are two major contributors to the situation where children show a tendency to spend time watching TV rather than creative activities. The first explanation is that telecasts have been growing in number as well as quality, which greatly appeals to children at young age. Compared to the past when most TV channels were in black and white, or viewers could only switch to a limited number of programs, nowadays hundreds of channels with high-resolution graphics are available on TV. It is therefore understandable why children choose watching channels like Cartoon Network over other activities.
The second reason is the lack of care as well as encouragement from parents. Busy life has pushed modern parents away from their kids, and they hardly have time to play with their children or encourage them to do some healthier activities like painting. Children, as a consequence, turn to watching TV during their spare time.
Measures should be taken in order to reduce the time children use to watch TV. Parents’ guidance are essential since they are closest to their own children and it is easier for parents to restrict the amount of time allowed for watching TV. Although schools and teachers can also play a part, fathers and mothers would be far more persuasive and could resort to drastic measures such as corporal punishments if needed.
Also of great importance is that they should spare more time playing with and encouraging their kids to take part in creative activities. In fact, with enough encouragement, children would feel motivated and cared for, hence more time spent on active exercises.
In conclusion, several factors are cited as causes for children’s propensity for adopting a passive habit of watching TV more than ever before, and children should be guided and encouraged to do more creative work.
E. Một số đề bài khác
- Nowadays, it seems that people tend to waste a great amount of food. Why do you think this is happening? And how can we solve this problem?
- Some people choose to have their first child at an older age. What are the reasons? Do advantages outweigh disadvantages?
- In many countries, people now wear Western clothes (suits, jeans) rather than traditional clothing. Why? Is this a positive or negative development?
- More and more people are suffering from health problems caused by a modern lifestyle which cannot be treated with modern medicines. Some people think that a return to traditional medicines should be encouraged. To what extent do you agree?
Chủ đề này không có quá nhiều trở ngại như những chủ đề chuyên môn khác, nhưng nó bao quá khá rộng nhiều vấn đề khác nhau, các tình huống khác nhau xung quanh cuộc sống. Do đó, nó đòi hỏi bạn cần phải tinh ý “phát sinh” ra nhiều ngóc ngách nữa khi “va chạm” với những chủ đề khác để nắm được cơ bản mọi trường hợp, từ đó không bị bỡ ngỡ và mất thời gian suy nghĩ trong phòng thi. Chúc bạn may mắn!